History Of BPRCVS

The history of BPRCVS in Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and East Lancashire

BPRCVS had humble beginnings in 1935 starting solely in Burnley, initially as the Citizen’s Guild. From 1945 the organisation became known as the Council of Social Service. In 1973 the Burnley CVS was born. Over 25 years ago Burnley CVS expanded into the Pendle and Rossendale regions. Now we are the Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale Council for Voluntary Services or BPRCVS for short.

The intervening years between our inception in 1935 and to date in 2016 have seen a level of commitment and dedication of service to the local community that has been unparalleled. There have been a long-standing series of notable achievements by BPRCVS over the years.

  • For 40 years Burnley CVS ran the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
  • For over 45 years we have provided access to a Distress Fund for local families. 
  • The Volunteer Centre has been hugely successful for over 30 years.
  • A young people’s homelessness project was successfully run for 10 years.
  • We ran a Community Concern Group for almost a decade which provided recycled, good quality furniture and clothing as well as emergency food parcels to clients referred by Social Services.
  • We opened the former Burnley Corporation Water Works building in Burnley town centre as the East Lancashire Voluntary Sector Resource Centre, otherwise known as ELVSRC.
  • The BPRCVS building is now known as the Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth building.

BPRCVS has been a critical success factor for the charity and voluntary sector within the East Lancashire region. As an infrastructure organisation we were instrumental in supporting the development of a wide range of local charities, groups and organisations. BPRCVS was fundamental in the successes of the Marriage Guidance Council, Guide Dogs for the Blind, CRUSE Bereavement Care, Crossroads, the M3 Project and the Open Hands Centre.